- Steven’s areas of practice include taxation, estate planning, business formations, structuring and planning, and tax-exempt organizations
- Prior to entering the field of law Steven worked for Arthur Andersen, LLP as a Certified Public Accountant
- Steven received his law degree from the University of Denver where he was a member of the editorial board of the Denver University Law Review and received a Scholastic Excellence Award in Estate and Gift Taxation. Steven also received his LL.M. in Taxation from the University of Denver
Steven has published articles in the Denver University Law Review, The Colorado Lawyer, and Colorado Real Estate Journal. He has also written a chapter on U.S. law in the publication E-Commerce and the Law of Digital Signatures, and a chapter on Taxation in Lawyer’s Professional Liability in Colorado (2d ed.). He is a frequent lecturer on tax-related subjects for continuing legal education classes, and held an honorarium at the University of Colorado at Denver, Graduate School of Business where he teaches International Taxation.
Steven holds an “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which is based on the publisher’s confidential surveys of attorneys and judges practicing in the Denver metropolitan area. An “AV” rating is the highest rating conferred by the publisher and represents the legal community’s opinion as to an attorney’s legal abilities and adherence to ethical standards.
- Estate Planning
- Business Formations, Structures and Planning
- Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Chair, Section of Taxation, Colorado Bar Association (2010-2011)
- Jewish Community Center, Early Childhood Committee
- University of Denver, College of Law, LL.M. (Taxation) 1997
- University of Denver, College of Law, J.D., 1996
- Memphis State University, B.B.A. 1990
- State and Federal Courts of Colorado
- United States Tax Court
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- FGMC’s Update on the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act, December 2017.
- Proposed Federal Tax Reform, November 2017.
- Trust Decanting Statute Provides a New Method to Modify Irrevocable Trusts, July 2017.
- “Stretching Tax-Deferred Retirement Benefits Using Separate Accounts and Trusts as Beneficiaries,” 36 The Colorado Lawyer 59, March 2007.
- Chapter: “Taxation” in the Colorado Attorney’s Professional Liability Handbook, CLE In Colorado, Inc. 2006.
- “Circular 230 Compliance: A Guide For the Non-Tax Attorney,” 34 The Colorado Lawyer 29, November 2005.
- Chapter: “United States” in E-Commerce and the Law of Digital Signatures, Oceana Publications, Inc. 2005.
- “Update on Regulations Regarding Practice Before the Internal Revenue Service,” 34 The Colorado Lawyer 83, May 2005.
- “Tax Shelter Transactions: Practitioner Obligations and New Confidential Transaction Regulations,” 33 The Colorado Lawyer 135, August 2004 (co-authored with Adam M. Cohen).