Mike is a trial and appellate lawyer who handles complex civil and commercial litigation across an array of industries and in the public sector, representing businesses, executives, investors, and employees. In 20 years of practice, Mike has handled cases ranging from billion-dollar disputes to interesting and novel constitutional and election law cases. He is also a law enforcement academy instructor and former police sergeant with deep knowledge of criminal, constitutional, and use-of-force law.
Mike is licensed and practices regularly in Colorado, California, and New York, and appears in state and federal courts and in FINRA and AAA arbitration nationwide. Among other accolades, Mike has been named a “Best Lawyer” in commercial litigation and a Law Week Colorado “Lawyer of the Year.” More than anything, Mike takes great pride in working people out of seemingly intractable situations.
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Criminal and Civil Rights Law
- Appellate Practice
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Government Investigations & White-Collar Defense
Commercial Litigation – Mike represents business and individuals in an array of commercial matters across many industries. He has defended departing employees alleged of wrongdoing in connection with their new employment; protected trade secret pharmaceutical formulations, inventions, and customer lists; fought off bet-the-company trademark infringement, trade secret, and non-compete claims; enforced contract and other legal rights in transactions small and large; defended class actions; and much more.
Business Divorce and Corporate Governance – Mike represents companies, senior executives, and founders in disputes concerning corporate governance and business divorce and in internal investigations. These cases are often highly charged, where managing both the legal and emotional aspects of these disputes is critical to preventing further harm to the organization and its people.
Election Law – In the wake of political polarization and accompanying litigation, Mike has been called upon to advise on and litigate election and campaign finance law matters, with an emphasis on novel, constitutional issues.
Financial Crisis and Investment Litigation –Mike litigated the fallout from the 2008 financial crisis, including as lead counsel to the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy estate for mortgage-backed securities (RMBS)-related matters. In that role, he defended more than $80 billion in mortgage-related claims brought against the Lehman estate and prosecuted thousands of claims against sellers of defective mortgage loans. Mike has also represented both institutional investors and investment banks in several multibillion-dollar RMBS trials, achieving, in one case, what the New York Post called “a whopping defeat” of an $11.4 billion claim.
Brand and Business Protection – Mike has substantial experience in brand and business protection, both as a preventative strategist and adviser and as a litigator. He has provided counseling and litigated cases involving trade secrets, trademarks, raiding, and non-compete agreements in the financial services, pharmaceutical, medical device, energy, and cannabis industries. Mike immerses himself in clients’ businesses to thoroughly understand their goals and challenges and to design comprehensive legal strategies in which litigation is only one of many tools for achieving success.
FINRA and Securities – Mike appears in numerous arbitrations administered by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”) on behalf of both customers and industry members and serves as a FINRA arbitrator.
- Kroenke Sports & Entertainment
- The Denver Nuggets
- The Colorado Rapids
- KSE Outdoor Sportsman Group
- The Colorado Contractors Association
- The Town of Vail, Colorado
- Fruition Partners
- Lehman Brothers
- NAVA Real Estate Development
- Galena Street Fund
- JP Hwaro
- Eagle Synergistic Optimizing Technologies Oakhouse Bakery The Shootist Pistol Range
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (J.D.), Class Rank No. 1, Order of St. Ives
- University of Colorado Denver (B.A.), summa cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Best Lawyers: The Best Lawyers in America 2023, 2024
- Lawyer of the Year, Law Week Colorado (2017)
- Ranked in Chambers USA
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Elite Boutique Trailblazer, The National Law Journal (2017)
- Colorado Super Lawyers for Securities Litigation (2014-2023)
- Top 100: 2015, Colorado Super Lawyers
- Local Litigation Star in Colorado by Benchmark Litigation (2017-2020)
- Local Litigation Star in Colorado – Plaintiff, Benchmark Litigation (2014)
- Colorado Rising Stars (2010-2013)